Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post ) Add Reply Create a new Topic Start a Poll

(S5) - Special PT - Changes
kckolbe
 Posted: Jan 12 2018, 07:14 PM

N/A

Group:
Members
Member ID:
Total Post:

N/A

I would like for archetypes to come close to balanced. I can't believe we still have a run support CB, or o line other than pass blocker/technician, that are just completely unplayable. We are in S5 now, and these have been broken since S1. I would like for ST formations to become part of the DC templates. This does not require a rule change, as GMs are already allowed to edit them, but this would be a nice “service” for someone in HO to provide, a very easy kill to say “hey, we care about you and want to make your stay more enjoyable, and since HO gets paid about double what a GM does, we’ll help you out.” I also want regression revisited. I see a LOT of different preferences on how long a career should be. I don’t really have a “right answer,” but maybe a poll would be a good idea? Whatever the length, though, regression should increase every year, not every OTHER year. I have seen NO ONE opposed to that, but even though I started advocating for it S2, no changes. I would like to see minimum salaries raised to better represent the difference in TPE.

I want CBs replaceable by bots. MAYBE some CBs enjoy it, but I doubt it. There is no reward for being a good CB, as attributes seem to have no effect on coverage. Being slow means you give up more YAC, but that seems to be all that matters. Basically, I switched to CB because my team needed it, but I would change if I could without hurting them. It’s not fun at all. Not only does getting lit up by scrubs suck, but there is almost no way to tell good CBs from bad. I know there was an attempt last season to fix that, but it fizzled. Do a poll of all CBs, or a thread, and see how they respond.

I miss doing PBP. I really enjoyed it, and while some of that was from playing off of Sweetwater, I would still enjoy it without him. I like being a DSFL GM. It is stressful, of course, but also SO much more rewarding than being a player in the NSFL (though some of that is due to position). Genuinely, I thought about retiring a LOT in the past season, and the Marshals were the only thing that kept me from it. I really don’t wanna give them up. I like seeing whenever new players start writing league media, always delights me, especially seeing how involved some guys get with their DSFL teams.

--------------------
user posted image
Kevin Cushing (above) narrowly avoiding patriotism

^
Zoone16
 Posted: Jan 13 2018, 10:17 AM

Truly Inspiring

Group:
Awards Committee
Member ID:
Total Post:

N/A

Currently Like (120 words):

The aspect of the league that I appreciate the most is definitely the ability to watch the sim on Twitch and YouTube as it makes the user feel a lot more involved with what’s happening in the sim. With more players joining each season we should really make the sim viewing the most prominent aspect of the site. Most other multiplayer sim engines do not have something like this, as for example the SHL is just looking at post-sim results. In the future, I’d love to see the possibility of having the stream embedded into the forum in order for it to be more visible to any new user that doesn’t use Discord or curious guests that haven’t registered yet.

Want Changed/Removed (133 words):

This is something I think occurs in most sim leagues and it does bother me quite a bit. The fact that high TPE players can claim ridiculously small contracts for all their career makes the whole simulation sports pointless in my eyes. It lets a team stack so much power that it wouldn’t be realistic in real world. If we are a simulation sport we should try to emulate real sports as much as possible. As such I would love to see the contracts be more in line with the NFL. A star player should not be earning 1M per season. He should be earning big bucks. I think the best way to fix this is to introduce salary tiers at every 100 TPE and limit the contract duration to 3 seasons max.

Want Added (113 words):

This league could do with the addition of off-season events, such as the return of the Pro Bowl sim that we didn’t have last season. New players tend to create more during the off-season and once their player is created, the first TPE earned there isn’t much to do other than sit around and wait for the DSFL draft. I am however not for the idea of an international tournament or such. I do not think that we have the number of players to make this work, even with NCAA partitions. I don’t know what could be added but more things in the off-season will help with player retention in the long run.

--------------------
user posted image

^
ralz9
 Posted: Jan 13 2018, 03:07 PM

N/A

Group:
Members
Member ID:
Total Post:

N/A

WHAT I LIKE

The streaming aspect of the league really makes it a lot of fun, in my opinion. The Discord really gets popping, especially in our team-specific one, when my team is playing and it’s something I look forward to every week. The addition of Twitter is a lot of fun, too. One thing I think NSFL kind of lacks that other simulation leagues I’ve been in is that feeling of community—I don’t really feel like I know anyone in this league (which is fine)—but the Twitter aspect lets our personalities shine a bit more. I’m a big fan of growing as a league and an online community.

WANT ADDED

I wish I could be more specific as how to fix it, but I wish there was a way where the best players in the league didn’t necessarily HAVE to be the most experienced. As in real life, veterans are generally going to be better than rookies, but there’s those players that have rookie years like Robert Griffin III and that’s kind of impossible for this league. I don’t really know how to change it, which I apologize for. Maybe we gamble TPE? I’m not really sure, because then we have an issue of players starting as kind of shitty rookies quitting because they’re so far behind. My view on this is also different because my player, the Yeti QB, has no chance to be remotely good until all the S1 quarterbacks retire even though I do work hard on making him better.

WANT CHANGED

It’d be nice if the payment for writing media was higher. I don’t think many will agree with me, but I love reading power rankings and other types of stories that have to do with the league. When I first joined, it was what kept me as a regular member. I think by increasing the incentive, people would do more media posts. The issue is sometimes they are kind of garbage and not entertaining to read because someone is just in it to make a word count, so maybe some kind of additional judgment would be needed (though, I know that could create problems since it’d be based on opinions).

--------------------

user posted image
^
ralz9
 Posted: Jan 13 2018, 03:13 PM

N/A

Group:
Members
Member ID:
Total Post:

N/A

Ooh, playoffs for the teams that don't make the playoffs!

QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 8 2018, 03:50 PM)
Add:

So I`ll be honest I`m not really sure what I would add to the league. Maybe some kind of off-season activity for us to enjoy. Even something small like a silly tournament or something. Ofcourse we would need to find someone willing to sim something like this. I don't think international tournies would work to well with probably 90% of all players being from America, but it's something to bring up and see what people think of an offseason event. Just something small and fun which keeps up activity through out of the offseason as they can become kinda a snore after a while.

Change:

It seems to be a common thing to be mention in this PT so far, but one of the things I think needs to be looked at it regression. I think right now 8 years just might be too short, especially for the new people coming into the league on positions that are loaded, ofcourse thats the risk of making the 19th QB the league has, but if you play second string on a team for a few seasons, the window for you to play at your best potential is way short. Ofcouse this position is only really for positions that have a limited amount of players. Like QB's or kickers really. With 8 teams in the NSFL, you can really only have 8 starting QB's/K at one moment. So it's very limiting. Then again that might be why regression is a thing. You need to make room for new players and a some what early regression helps with that. It creates a circulation on players.

I hate stuff like that because I always look at pro's and cons lol. So yeah have a look at regression, I honestly have no clue if it really should be changed lol.

What I like:

I like the people on this site and I like the whole concept of it all. I really hope to see this league keep growing and staying alive. That why I hated seeing things as the Legion mass retirement, the ER situation and all those kind of things. You just hear people say that it ruins the site for them, but the negativity aside, I just like what we're doing here. It's not perfect and some areas could be streamlined and probably some changes for the better could be made, but I like y' all and I hope we can keep this league around for a very long time and enjoy it together. #wholesome

--------------------

user posted image
^
mmfootball
 Posted: Jan 13 2018, 03:42 PM

N/A

Group:
Updater
Member ID:
Total Post:

N/A

Added: There isn't really much I'd like to be added to the league besides players... I don't think the recruitment has had enough of an impact and I think it should be focused on very much. There aren't enough ACTIVE players that can keep the league sustainable for a long period of time imo as I can see many people dropping out after awhile. I really enjoy this league and would not like to see it die a slow painless death. Unfortunately I don't have a good idea for this problem and can't figure out a way to show how awesome this league is to a wide variety of people so I guess that's on me...

Removed:

Liked:

--------------------

user posted image Player Page || Update Page user posted image
Request a Signature
user posted image
^
ElvinEnchant
 Posted: Jan 13 2018, 09:46 PM

N/A

Group:
Members
Member ID:
Total Post:

N/A

Well, I hope it's okay for me to write a few things for each topic here. I'm sure you all won't mind me giving *extra* feedback haha.

Lets start with stuff I'd like added. First thing might be as simple as a little word count tracker in the editor, it would help for those writing articles a whole bunch, not that's it incredibly hard to do so but not having to do something externally would be good for the league. Another thing would be the ability to quickly see everything you post in your profile, instead of the 'Most Recent' list you get. I personally sometimes have trouble keeping track of exactly how much TPE I get in a week for everything, and having a way to see everything I've done would be great. Something I've wanted to do for a bit is also the ability to make videos for TPE as well, it'd be great if alongside writing and graphics, you could make short videos, for those who like using their voice. Finally, I think some announcers for the sim games would be great! Perhaps give some volunteers TPE for every game they do, it's just a nice way to get some extra TPE during the season as well as adding some more flair to the frankly kinda boring music-on-sim style. (Words: 195)

As for removing things, I hope you don't mind me talking about stuff I'd like changed as well. I'd start first with penalties. Too many in the sim, and I really think they should be turned down a notch or two. The TPE cap in the DSFL also seems sort of odd. It's high enough at 200 that's it not affecting the players who are normally inactive or not very active, but it *does* affect the ones who really strive to increase their TPE a whole lot. Maybe raise it to 300, or remove it altogether, but it just seems like it's in an awkward spot right now. (Words: 108)

Lastly, for stuff I like as it is, the community is just absolutely amazing. The inclusiveness and respect is awesome, and it's rare to see people who love a sport known for mean fans be so tolerant. Also, the way the site works, I really like the core of the site and exactly what it's meant to be. It's such a cool concept, something I always loved doing in Madden is pretending to be my own person, and having it be so much more in-depth here is so great. You can get really immersed in it and I love it. (Words: 100)

Total Word Count: 403

--------------------
user posted image

Twitter Page
Player Updates

^
PigSnout
 Posted: Jan 14 2018, 12:32 AM

N/A

Group:
Members
Member ID:
Total Post:

N/A

Add:
I had a few ideas for this one:

I have some personal bias on this one, but I'd be interested in potentially seeing a buff to the running game. Overall rushing stats have been declining a bit each year since Season 1, although there has been a slight uptick in rushing stats this year, so maybe they are improving a little bit naturally. However, I feel like rushing averages are unrealistically low right now. Comparing this season's NFL Rushing Averages and NSFL Rushing Averages, the best running game in the NSFL would rank 27th in yards per carry in the NFL and 5 teams average less yards per carry than the worst rushing offense in the NFL. The NSFL rushing averages are really bad compared to NFL averages, which makes it hard to really establish a strong rushing game in the NSFL when passing is so much more efficient. This makes it really hard for teams like the Legion and the Yeti who don't have good passing attacks to be competitive since you can't lean too much on the running game with low averages. The sim engine has a rushing yards modifier option in settings that can be used to increase rushing averages, which could be increased a bit to making running games better. It would have to be tested to determine the right amount of buff so that it doesn't over correct and make running overpowered. I know I'm biased as a running back and a player on a team without a strong passing attack, but I think having the ability to have stronger running games would lead to more balanced play calling and make the sim stats more realistic to real life stats.

Another smaller addition I would like to see is a publicly available sim file. It's fun having access to the sim file since you can learn more about the sim engine and get to test out different builds for your player and see how different strategies effect your player. I know the sim file is available to GMs and players can get it from their GMs, but I think it would be more convenient if it were put somewhere where players could get to it on their own. Also a lot of players might not even be aware that the sim file is available, I never knew about it before becoming a GM. Even if it weren't updated after each game like the GM one, just having access to a file updated once per season could be great for players. It could spur new articles as people could run more in depth tests and it could help prepare future GMs as people could learn about the sim engine before taking a GM role. I'm not sure if there's a reason that the file isn't posted in a public thread, but I know most of the other leagues I'm in release the sim files publicly and it hasn't caused any issues that I'm aware of.

One more addition that I think could be helpful is a more direct link to the index. As it is right now, you have to go to the index thread to get the link to the index. It would be more convenient if there were a direct link to get there. I don't know the logistics of implementing this, but I know the PBE has a direct link to the index and they use jcink too so it would probably be possible. My thought is that new users might now know where to find the index thread and it might make things easier to navigate if the index had a direct link rather than a thread.

615 Words

Remove:
We should try to remove the long offseasons. Offseasons can get pretty long if you don't make the playoffs, one week during the playoffs, 1-2 weeks for offseason activities, and for players who don't care about preseason you can go 3-4 weeks without playing a meaningful game. In the past I've seen a lot of instances of players going inactive or seeing a sharp decline in activity during the offseason as they don't feel as engaged. I think the best approach would be to either try to shorten the offseason or add new activities to keep players engaged over the offseason (or both). In the SBA, they have FIBA every other offseason where players declare for a country and team up with other players from that country to compete. It could be cool to do something similar like where players team up based on the region of the US they are from or based on what college they are from (maybe group by what conference their college was in). But it could be cool to have something like that during the offseason week so that people still have games to follow and get to watch their players in action and maybe team up with some new teammates. The other thing that I think would improve the offseason is to come up with a clear schedule. This year things got backtracked because of some of the scandals that arose but it was kind of hard to keep track since a lot of things like the official change of the season and the draft weren't announced too far ahead of time. I think if there were a clear plan laid out for the offseason right away, it would help people stay more engaged as they would know when all the key events were coming and I think it could help shorten the offseason if the schedule were set rather than flexible.

315 Words

Like:
I like the idea of the DSFL. I think it will be important to the long term future of the league. I like how after being drafted, players can still go back and get playing time while they are developing. I think this will fix two potential issues as players won't have to sit on the bench as backups and potentially lose interest while developing as they will be able to start in the DSFL and since players will be able to develop in the DSFL for a few seasons, teams won't have to start unprepared rookies since they will be able to draft them a few years before their previous starters retire and let them develop in the DSFL so they will be ready when it is time to step up. I think the DSFL will be great for the league in the long team and am looking forward to seeing it develop further.

155 Words

--------------------

user posted image

Player Page - Update Page
^
Neckbishop
 Posted: Jan 14 2018, 03:07 PM

N/A

Group:
Members
Member ID:
Total Post:

N/A

Write 1 thing that you would like added to the league

As a new player the thing that I feel like the NSFL and especialay the DSFL is a better reference interface. Especially at the higher levels of personel. I dont think I could tell you who are the General Managers of any team other then my own. I could not tell you who are FO, the updaters or even where to find this information. The schedule also could use an over haul. What team plays where and when? When is the Championship. The league needs to do a better job introducing new players to the system of this league and how Sim Leagues work.

1 thing that you would like removed

The thing I would like removed is the instability of the simulation and stream. The very first regular season simulation I watched live on twitch (which by the way is amazing, I was at Red Robin watching) and I have a sack. That was an awesome moment, my first sack in the DSFL. But much to my dismay when I take a look at the game log later I am missing two tackles and my sack! That is very frustrating, I celebrated that sack, I told my wife about that sack, we drank beers to that sack! And it is just gone. Sure we still won the game but I was not ready for that.

1 thing that you currently like

As a new player this season there is a clear answer to the question of best thing about the league. The best thing about the NSFL and likewise the DSFL has got to be the people. This has been a awesome and welcoming community full of great characters and little toxicity. Every question i have had whether in the discord or the forums has been answered in helpful and friendly manner. The streams are fun to watch, not just for the game tension but because of everyone else that watches and chats. Sure there is a little drama but this place is very positive.

--------------------
^
Evok
 Posted: Jan 14 2018, 08:57 PM

N/A

Group:
Player Progression Team
Member ID:
Total Post:

N/A

I currently like the way the twitter system is handled here. It’s actually paying to use it compared to some other league which most likely add to the odds of someone doing it. 600K is a great lump of money and basically could pay for my training for a week if I buy the 500K one. You aren’t going too far with it, but it’s enough to have some interest. I think there is also an index of all the current twitter account and if that can be kept organized, I think it will be really interesting down the road.

I would like to have added something during the offseason to keep the interest around. The offseasons aren’t too long, but it’s enough that I forget to come around. I saw recently on another sim league the idea of a ‘sponsorship endorsement’ that players could possibly do and gain money or TPE. It’s basically to create some fake brand and have player complete task about those products like a real player would do in order to complete the contract they would have with that company. Something like ‘do an interview and answer three questions about this brand’. A bit like a PT.

Something I would like to see changed or removed would be to have a better index. I don’t know if it’s because I’m just not understanding how this index work, but I have a really hard time navigating in it and actually find my stats when the time to do the milestone is there. There is no way to go see the stats for one player only and you always have to search directly for the player instead of finding it easily. If I wanted to see all the stats for my team’s players, I would have to go in each of the category and search for them instead of having them listed directly in the team.

--------------------
^
jparks98
 Posted: Jan 15 2018, 12:57 PM

N/A

Group:
DSFL GM
Member ID:
Total Post:

N/A

1 thing that you would like added to the league

One thing that I think would be really cool is adding a new archetype for RB, DT, LB, and DE. I think there should be an athletic freak type of player archetype and every position except the ones I named have on to fit that mold. In the NFL guys, there is always athletic freaks like Myles Garrett, JJ Watt, and Myles Jack. So maybe we create an archetype with super low intangibles but extremely athletic. So for a linebacker, you have a 90 speed, 85 strength, 85 agility type of player but then stats like tackle, intelligence at 80.For Defensive tackle, you can have 100 strength, 80 agility, and 75 speed with 70 in tackle and a 65 in intelligence. Defensive end; 90 strength, 85 agility. 85 strength; 75 intelligence and 70 tackle. The running back would be 90 speed 90 agility with 85 strength; hands and intelligence will be 65 and blocking is 40. Obviously, these numbers are not set in stone. I haven't tested them but i just wanted to give a baseline of what I mean. I think this could add a lot more options for new people and more diversity to coach game planning.

I would also like the return of backyard football. This was one of my favorite things to ever happen on this site. Maybe we can bring it back to help alleviate long offseasons and I think that it will add more stuff for new people to sink their teeth in.

1 thing that you would like removed

1 thing that you currently like

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
^
Vikain
 Posted: Jan 15 2018, 11:20 PM

N/A

Group:
Banker
Member ID:
Total Post:

N/A

What I would like added to the league is more transparency in the way the HO and streams are worked. It seemed at least early on when people would ask questions or raised their concerns the league would either laugh it off or just say “don't worry”. But that's the most important aspect of what I believe that truly needs to be fixed. On a more lighter side I think the league should implement some way to get players to be more active as a team. I know this is a little harder to do than said but I think besides Discord teams aren't bonding as maybe they should. I’m thinking maybe there needs to be a seasonal either PT or some activity that will give out TPE for teams in a way that they can to their players for doing some team related elements.

The thing I would like to be removed is maybe how the Ultimus Week is done. It is the most stressful part of this league in my opinion. Instead of a week of madness and chaos where the everyone writes about the same insights I think there needs to be some rework. I suggest we expand it to a midpoint of the season till right before the beginning of next one. The writing and the graphics need to be changed into something less stale in my opinion. This is no knock on anyone but we have been doing the same questions and graphics for seasons now. There needs to be something spiced up as its one of the most important things to develop your player.

The thing I like is the Discord. I think it definitely brings teams and teammates together. Almost like a chat/voice locker room. Even though I don't personally use it too much it's great to see some of my teammates talking to enjoying the vibe of each other. It also helps keep people on track and not just go inactive. I was surprised to hear that some teams don't actually use Discord. I have no idea why it just seems like it would hurt the team. I understand that some people don't want to talk to everyone every time but to not allow any of your teammates that right seems a little strange. I hope in upcoming seasons people will be inclined to use Discord and build a chemistry and widen the community on NSFL.

--------------------
user posted image
^
Chukka
 Posted: Jan 17 2018, 02:26 AM

N/A

Group:
Members
Member ID:
Total Post:

N/A

Add:
I would like to maybe have one offensive and one defensive player in the sim league. If we are so worried on not filling out draft classes or not having full teams of players this could be a possible temporary solution. I'm not completely sure how I would like the updating to work but, it could encourage more people to create more content to update more than one player. While some people would like to only manage one player there could also be the option for the more fleshed out players to spend their TPE elsewhere. This could also stunt the growth of certain players to create more tiers of players because of the options they are given. (118)

Remove/Change:
Personally, I don't like the front loaded or back loaded contracts because it allows teams to sign big name free agents for nothing for a couple of years to contend and avoid cap hits. This can be absurd and allow VERY backended/frontended contracts. While front ended and back ended contracts are a thing the limit on how much a team can give right away should limit the signings done by certain teams. This should balance out the league and not allow teams to stack stars for cheap. This could possibly add more parity to the league and make the season a lot more competitive and fun. This also allows GM's to show off their skills by negotiating and swindling more. (121)

Like:
I love the content and communication by the community. The signatures, the writing, the streams, twitter, discord. There is so much interaction available to the people of the forum. The discord even though I might not participate in fully, is usually fun to read and gives some 'insight' into what is going on in the league. The streams are fun to watch because it feels like there is an actual impact of the players on the field not just the numbers that show up on the index the next day. Talking about the index; I love this thing. It is so convenient to navigate and see all whats happening and peep my stats quickly. (114)

This post has been edited by Chukka: Jan 17 2018, 02:35 AM

--------------------
user posted image
^
Bzerkap
 Posted: Jan 18 2018, 10:47 AM

Adwyer's least favorite Dad

Group:
Head Office
Member ID:
Total Post:

N/A

Added:
The run game slider in the game to be moved up

Removed:
Ineffective corner blitzes

Like:
The community

This post has been edited by Bzerkap: Jan 18 2018, 10:48 AM

--------------------

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
^
AzhekAhriman
 Posted: Yesterday at 06:46 am

N/A

Group:
Members
Member ID:
Total Post:

N/A

Added: More ways for players to interact with strategy and the sim along with more discussion in general on the quirks of the sim. The strategizing and playcalling and such are among my favorite parts of football and I would love to see the NSFL work out small ways that rookies could start to learn those systems and impact teams in a positive way. Maybe have a Co-GM training program or internship so teams can bring on a rookie in a low risk role so as to expand opportunities for those that want them with out being a burden on the team's as it is. I would also love to see a more active discussion of the sim here on the site.

Removed: Not to piggyback onto PDXBaller too much but I believe his idea of removing the DSFL salary cap and doing more to limit inactives could actually be a case of addition by subtraction. I would love to see this removal packaged with an addition of some sort of strategic system with bots to add a little more agency to team building while also making sure that DSFL GMs can build around their rookies in a way that is both conducive to building those players up and getting them involved in the site and competitive in the current season. Any system that puts those two goals at odds should undergo serious review by HO in my opinion

Like: The sense of camaraderie here on the site. Pretty much everyone terms of developing my knowledge of both the simulation and the builds that work best for my player. Lord knows the twitch chat has been hilarious, even when my Coyotes were getting replaced by yet another team. I would say that what I like the most about the league is the ability to replicate some of the most interesting things about football whether on the playcall sheet or in some goofy twitter beef. The NSFL provides that in a way that is unique and I look forward to being more and more active in the future,
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Point Tasks | Next Newest »

View Topic Options Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 4  Add Reply Fast Reply Create a new Topic Start a Poll

Mobile Version Last Visit: --